+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread

Thread: Re: Mobile Broadband or mobile phone as modem for laptop

1. Re: Mobile Broadband or mobile phone as modem for laptop

Which is the better method of connecting the laptop to the internet using a Mobile phone or mobile broadband stick? This will be used for checking email and accessing the internet for news. The area I am talking about is Southland and Coromandel. As far I know the 2 degree mobile broadband has little or no coverage for Coromandel area.
    Also can anyone recommend which is the best Mobile broadband stick?
    Many thanks

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    AD Google Ad

Threads

Re: Re: Mobile Broadband or mobile phone as modem for laptop

I'm a country area with no copper broadband. Two of my neighbours use T-sticks and I use a netcomm wireless modem with a sim card from telecom. The wireless modem is way better than the T-sticks and operate as a wireless hot spot. One downside is that they have no ethernet connection so I have to have a wireless card in my Desktop. But my laptop and the wife's laptop hook up via wireless no problem at all. I've been pleased with it. Downside is only 4 gb of data and if you go over they charge another $80. So you have to keep track of your usage. I usually get 3.5 mbps. There are other units that can be used with mobile broadband that have ethernet jacks and wireless and they also have aerial jacks so you can boost signal if you need to, but they tend to be a bit pricey.

Cheers
    Yo

4. Re: Re: Mobile Broadband or mobile phone as modem for laptop

Don't know. I've used both. The t-stick MF-190 from Telecom worked well for a while. But so did my Samsung S5511 cellphone.

However...right now, neither the t-stick nor the phone will connect to my laptop meaning I cannot access wireless at all. I've googled the problem and it appears there is no easy solution. In fact most people appear to be resigned to reloading their operating system which seems very extreme to me. So I've given up. If I want the internet while in Central Otago I go to McDonalds or another wifi site.

Threads

Re: Re: Mobile Broadband or mobile phone as modem for laptop

Don't know. I've used both. The t-stick MF-190 from Telecom worked well for a while. But so did my Samsung S5511 cellphone.

However...right now, neither the t-stick nor the phone will connect to my laptop meaning I cannot access wireless at all. I've googled the problem and it appears there is no easy solution. In fact most people appear to be resigned to reloading their operating system which seems very extreme to me. So I've given up. If I want the internet while in Central Otago I go to McDonalds or another wifi site.
    The problem with using a phone is the cost of data and the fact it's not really designed to be a "hotspot". I use a Netcomm 3G modem but telecom are now using the Huawei ones here. 21 Mbps as opposed to 7 on a t-stick. (Also t-sticks and vodems are a B***ch on Linux, whereas the 3G wireless modem is OS agnostic) There are a number of other options for Mobile wireless broadband modems, I would tend to go for ones that take a simcard rather than plugin a t-stick to a usb port. In remote areas a modem that can have an aerial extension fitted would probably be a good investment. I'm reasonably lucky in that the nearest cell tower is about 3k as the crow flies so reception isn't too bad.

Cheers
    Yo

6. Re: Re: Mobile Broadband or mobile phone as modem for laptop

I've used my galaxy S on Vodafone both as a Wi-Fi Hotspot and tethered Via USB to get internet access at the LAN club I attend. It works very well but speed can vary wildy during the day depending on loading. I also have a $70 Telecom T-stick I bought for the same purpose. I use whichever works better based on coverage or speed and it varies depending on location so to me it seems about the same. I think the T-stick is a bit more convenient though. I've even gamed online over both and it works surprisingly well.

The t-stick came with free 2GB of data for 60 days, which at mobile data prices is cheaper than the data alone would cost and pays for the T-stick in my opinion. I didn't come close to using it all up before it expired. If you are the sort of person who could use 2GB of mobile data every 60 days it might actually be cheaper to buy a new T-stick each time

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Please type MARKETINGFORUM below

Visitors found this page by searching for: