+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread

Thread: Re: Doctor Prescribed Xanax to Previous Heroin Addict

Threads

Re: Doctor Prescribed Xanax to Previous Heroin Addict

EDIT: HE IS LIKELY SELLING HIS PRESCRIPTIONS FOR OTHER DRUGS
    he's selling which, the suboxone or the xanax? In either case, if he is selling them, he surely cannot be abusing them, at least for long as he can only obtain so much each refill. That kind of defeats your argument that is he taking 8 time rx dosage of the xanax.

My brother has been prescribed to take 16-24mg suboxone daily for the past year or so. (no change in dosage)
    from what I can see, that is the high range of dosage recommendations (up to 24 mg/daily is the top end) Obviously not the "ridiculously high" dosage you claimed.

but yes, he should be reducing the dosage regularly.

You can speak to the doctor, if he will allow it. Without your brother signing a HIPAA waiver, the doctor cannot say much to you though.

be cautious though. Your actions may result in a very short taper period (like however long his remaining stock will last him) for any drug you claim is being abused.

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    AD Google Ad

Threads

Re: Re: Doctor Prescribed Xanax to Previous Heroin Addict

I don't know 100% sure I get all my info from my brother/mother telling me things.

The day my brother got prescribed xanax he told me that he: talked to the doctor about anxiety not expecting xanax but still got prescribed (I don't know the exact details but I know he was prescribed xanax within 1 visit to the doctor)

My brother has also told me before: (something like this) The doctor want's to keep him on suboxone for a long time(indefinitley)

My brother has been prescribed to take 16-24mg suboxone daily for the past year or so. (no change in dosage)

I'm almost 100% positive the xanax prescription is not for weaning off of opiates
    Unfortunately, you don't actually know what his doctor has said - and by law, the doc cannot say a darned word to you without your brother's explicit written consent which I imagine you don't have. You can, however, tell the doctor your concerns.

Now to the meat of the issue.

It is not unusual or wrong to prescribe Xanax to an addict. It can be a really good way of helping an addict come off X, or one who needs short term (I'm talkin a 4-6 week cycle) acute help. In other words, it's going to be very difficult to prove any wrongdoing; he received the rx from the physician who is also working with a long-term treatment/recovery plan.

I'm not entirely sure why you think the doctor is looking out only for his wallet - that's really just not how it works. He doesn't get paid more for prescribing a) versus b). If that was the case, he'd be insisting on Brand Name Only rather than the generic sub.

See where I'm coming from?

Threads

you seem to be 100% on a lot of things without a shred of evidence.

without evidence you have absolutely nothing, and if your interference causes your brother's doctor to drop him, he might sue (or worse) you.

5. Re: Re: Doctor Prescribed Xanax to Previous Heroin Addict

Well, let's stay in the realm of likelihoods, Lehk. I get your point, but the chances of OP actually being sued in a defamation action are slim to none and I think slim ran off somewhere last winter.

Threads

Now to the meat of the issue.

It is not unusual or wrong to prescribe Xanax to an addict. It can be a really good way of helping an addict come off X, or one who needs short term (I'm talkin a 4-6 week cycle) acute help. In other words, it's going to be very difficult to prove any wrongdoing; he received the rx from the physician who is also working with a long-term treatment/recovery plan.
    How is it not wrong to prescirbe xanax to a previous heroin addict? Suboxone is an opiate. Xanax is a Benzodiazepine.

Opiates and Benzos are different drugs. Taking benzos won't help weaning off opiates.

From the doctors point of view he's helping the patient get over anxiety.
    My point of view: doctor is getting him addicted to other drugs

Why wouldn't the doctor prescribe him something else? Theres so many different anti anxiety drugs why in the world did he choose the strongest/most addictive anti-anxiety med known.

Lehk: obviously I don't have evidence that's why I'm here... Its all my personal opinion that I witnessed with my own eyes and ears.

I guess this was a mistake posting on a legal forum. I guess I'll have to wait for my brother to kill himself or one of my loved ones since there's not a damn thing I can do.

Threads

Why is it not wrong?

Because the medical community has decided that it's an acceptable treatment protocol in certain patients, your brother being one.

You don't like the idea - I understand that. But it isn't your decision, and it doesn't reflect the position taken by the experts. I'm sorry - I don't know what else to tell you.

(Well, other than your stance that taking benzos won't help - you're categorically wrong on that one)

Threads

Why is it not wrong?

Because the medical community has decided that it's an acceptable treatment protocol in certain patients, your brother being one.

You don't like the idea - I understand that. But it isn't your decision, and it doesn't reflect the position taken by the experts. I'm sorry - I don't know what else to tell you.

(Well, other than your stance that taking benzos won't help - you're categorically wrong on that one)
    Ok I think that helped me a lot.

Yes benzos can help, but giving them to my brother is bad. Just imagine you're in my position, knowing your drug addict brother just got prescribed another highly addictive medication. Knowing he would abuse it because he tells you he plans on getting higher doses and selling/taking a lot at a time. And it could all be prevented.

Its a very complicated situation where I know my brother does all sorts of drugs. My brother is good at hiding things, but not from me. I know he smoked meth today. He either sold his suboxone/xanax or stole something.

I am moving out soon and honestly swear to god fear for my parents/pets lives and everything they worked so hard for. This is probably the wrong forum now but what would you do in my situation?

9. Re: Re: Doctor Prescribed Xanax to Previous Heroin Addict

Well, you've joined a forum and made a thread, and one respondent in particular knows addiction. This is probably crossing the line from advice into personal experience, but here we go.

That'd be me. I've managed to mess up my liver to the point where we're looking at two things. One is a markedly shorter life span, and the other is trying to keep things as stable as they are in the interim.

The point is, it's gotta come from him. He has to want to make the choice. Because until he does, he's not going to get better. You can't force an addict to get help; if the issue is forced, it won't last long (if it works at all).

Are you and your parents in Nar-Anon?

Threads

And while you may be upset because the doctor prescribed Xanax, apparently the doctor believed it was the proper Rx for his anxiety issues. Just about any drug can be addictive in one way or another. You seem to ignore the fact there may be an actual purpose for the Xanax and are stuck on "it's addictive"

If your brother wishes, he can sign a HIPAA release for you or your mother. If he does, the named person(s) can have an actual discussion with the doctor regarding his treatment plan. If your brother refuses, then your brother does not want you interfering with his treatment. Unless you have something more than your hyperbolic reaction to the doctor prescribing any drug to your brother, not much you can do. If your brother is a danger to you or others I suggest you take appropriate measures to protect the endangered.

11. Re: Doctor Prescribed Xanax to Previous Heroin Addict

I agree with sing comment.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What month comes before January?

Visitors found this page by searching for: