+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wills and no kids

Threads

Re: Wills and no kids

I would fund a retirement or college account for each loved one and then leave the rest to a cause I cared about.

Threads

I need to do this. I've put it off too long. I'm single, have only a couple nephews and nieces, and am stymied about what charity/church/or? to leave the rest to. Too many choices.

Threads

We have all of it going to surviving spouse. When final spouse dies, any remainder is split 50% to charity, and equal %ages to the remaining heirs or their offspring.

We used to have a trust to be set up but simplified it dramatically 4 years ago.

4. Re: Wills and no kids

When we hired an estate attorney - she gave us lots of advise and suggestions on how to achieve our goals. In our case - we wanted to make sure the kids did not get a huge lump sum at a very young age... so she had ideas of how to structure it so that they got some at age 25, some at age 30, and some at age 35. We would not have known how to structure this - but the way she did it made sense.

My sister and BIL have no kids and have my sons as nephews, and his sister's daughters as nieces. They set they're trust up to give half their estate to charity, and the other half to be divided equally among the nephews and nieces. In their situation, my husband and I (and our kids) are close to BIL - so he wouldn't get rid of us (ha!) upon my sisters death. My sister is almost closer to BIL's twin sister than BIL is - so again - that relationship would survive the death of BIL.

If you want the wishes to survive the first spouses death - you can set up a bypass trust. Or if you want the surviving spouse to be able to modify things - you can make it revocable.

Threads

[/QUOTE] Yeah I don't know who to pick ast the executor either. I have two sisters and a mom, none of them even came to my wedding (either time, married 2x a decade apart!), so that kinds of tells you how close we are. Yet I still fly to visit them 2x a year.

I'm thinking of it two ways here - if we both died together (we'd need a plan for that), and if one of dies after the other who has been gone for a while. Seems like two very different ways of thinking about this. I'd probably only consider ALL the nieces and nephews in the first scenario, but not the latter.

I don't have excess funds to pay for other children's colleges while I'm alive even if I love them to pieces. It's all tied up in retirement for starters. I also don't feel like it's my responsibility. Maybe if I were really loaded though!

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Type this word together without space INSU RANCE

Visitors found this page by searching for: