+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stress, Social Status, and Buying Stuff

Threads

Re: Stress, Social Status, and Buying Stuff

This thread is interesting and very timely for me. Earlier this week I checked three books out of the library:

The Overworked American
    The Overspent American
    Affluenza
    I liked the part in the Overworked American where the author points out that we not only work more than workers in most other developed countries, but more than medieval serfs -

Webmaster and Business Idea Forum

The serfs had more holidays, breaks and afternoon naps.

Threads

Hey! Quit bashing all those people borrowing money and spending it on all that stuff! Do you realize what would happen to the economy, and your PORTFOLIOS, if everyone adopted our lifestyles! God bless the consumption obsessed for they power the economy!!!!!

Threads

Like I mentioned above, good info on how stress works, but...
    Nature vs Nurture; about the gendercide of the forest baboon tribe, followup after a couple more generations, before drawing conclusions please.

4. Re: Stress, Social Status, and Buying Stuff

Like I mentioned above, good info on how stress works, but...
    Nature vs Nurture; about the gendercide of the forest baboon tribe, followup after a couple more generations, before drawing conclusions please.
    They didn't only follow the baboons. The stress studies on British government workers showed similar results.

Threads

They didn't only follow the baboons. The stress studies on British government workers showed similar results.
    Dagnabbit, I missed, didn't make, the eurofication connection.

Threads

[/QUOTE] I have often thought of thanking the "Spendarina" SIL for her contributions to our portfolio. Somehow I doubt she would be appreciative.

Threads

[/QUOTE] +1 We applaud them at every opportunity!

Threads

Watched a documentary on Netflix called "Stress: Portrait of a Killer" earlier today that made a connection between social status and persistent long-term stress. Well worth a watch.
    Thanks for the reference. I found it on Youtube, and agree that it was well worth watching.

The only logical path is to either fly up the ladder (quite tough statistically) or to try to check out entirely from that game.
    As noted in the movie (48:00-48:30), there is a third path for those low in the employment hierarchy without the means to check out entirely: viz., derive social status from hobbies (e.g., be the captain of a softball team).

9. Re: Stress, Social Status, and Buying Stuff

I haven't started Overworked American yet - I started with Overspent instead, although I think she wrote the other one first.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Please type the word N A I J A without spaces in the box below.

Visitors found this page by searching for: