+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you lie about your means or plans?

Threads

Re: Do you lie about your means or plans?

My siblings and my spouse's siblings (and their spouses) spend beyond their means consistently. Most don't have pensions to supplement their SS or, if they do, it's inadequate to support their lifestyles. The last thing I want to do is let them all know we're in solid financial shape. I'm afraid I'd be immediately looked at as "The Bank of 2B."

Our children know we're "comfortable" but they also know how frugal we are. One daughter is concerned that we're spending too much on international travel but the other one told her to now worry about our ability to manage our money (yet was unspoken). One son knows our total picture but he's very level headed with substantial assets of his own at a pretty young age. He has our financial PA if/when the need arises.

I've thought about how to announce my impending retirement. For my siblings I might tell them I lost my job but no matter how hard I look I can't find anything. Maybe they could lend me a few bucks.

Threads

[/QUOTE]

Threads

Actually, I lie about being ER'ed. I secretly sneak off every morning to my job as a Walmart greeter.

Threads

A few years ago I decided that I'd like to RE (or at least ESR) by 45. I told some people about it. For the most part my peers didn't react much one way or the other -- not sure if they didn't believe me, or just didn't care. A few like-minded friends were very interested in talking about it more and comparing notes on strategies to achieve RE.

Parents, parents-in-law, and various other elders had a different reaction. The best way to describe it would be poorly disguised apprehension combined with skepticism and just a smidge of envy. Maybe envy isn't quite the right word, but I got the impression that they felt it was unseemly for someone from a generation (or more) younger than them to stop working while they were still working. Hard to say for sure.

As I get closer to 45, I'm becoming more confident that the numbers will actually work out -- especially since I think I'd like to continue working part time after that until maybe 55. These days I don't tend to tell people that I plan on retiring at 45, but rather that I'd like to switch to part time at some point if finances allow it. Most people don't bat an eye at that.

Either way, I don't feel the need to lie about my RE/ESE plans. Perphaps mild obfuscation or partial truths depending on the audience.

5. Re: Do you lie about your means or plans?

I lie if its really necessary for me to.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What are the first 5 letters of our website's name?

Visitors found this page by searching for: